Monday, February 6, 2012

Welcome to the Pastor's Corner: The Maine Idea*!

*The title of this blog was modified in mid 2016 to include the subtitle: The Maine Idea.  For years I have tried to follow the approach of Haddon Robinson in uncovering and exposing the "Big Idea" of the biblical passage I was teaching.  I decided a while back to contextualize that concept by referring to the "Maine" idea of the text. The idea of course is that we start with what the text meant "then and there" and then seek to uncover its relevance applicability to us "here and now." Since I am serving this church in midcoast Maine it seemed like a relevant play on words. I want to remind myself that the timeless truth of the Bible does apply to us, right where we are at.
SN 6/9/2016
______________________________________________________

This blog has evolved since I started it a couple of years ago. I found value in writing out the complete text of the study before I preached it on Sunday morning and have continued to do that. It seems to help me seal the message in my heart and mind so that I can go ahead and preach without relying on my notes, which I find distracting. The preached message always varies, and occasionally varies quite a bit form the posted text, but I hope that is my learning to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit as I seek to bring God's word to His people.  Please leave your comments and observations below, and let us learn together to the glory of God.
your co-worker in Christ,
Pastor Steve Nash


The original post and intro follows...
-----------------------------------------
OK the title for this blog isn’t very original, but what’s in a name? I wanted to start this blog to give one more context in which we can reflect on the Word of God, and learn and grow together. The starting point for our discussion will be the Sunday Sermon series currently being preached at Boothbay Baptist Church. I plan to try to put the “text” of my Sunday Sermon online here each Monday morning. Since we are not recording the sermons and it would be tedious to make an exact transcript even if we did, I plan to go through my outline and flesh out what I planned to say, or in some cases, what I wish I had said! Let’s give it a try, I welcome your comments, questions, and feedback.
PS. Please identify yourself at the outset of your message. Anonymous entries aren’t very helpful, and, after all, we are a family!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea Pastor! ~Maggie Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maggie, we'll see how it goes, my hope is that it will be another context in which we can learn more about Jesus as we reflect on His Word!

    ReplyDelete