Saturday, February 14, 2015

In the midst of the storm

In the Midst of the Storm: Pain, Patience and Promise
Psalm 102
Introduction: [This is not a complete “study” but rather an outline that was used to guide a discussion of this psalm last Wednesday evening. Your insights, answers and thoughts on the questions, reactions to the big idea, are all invited in the comments section below]. We’ve been working our way through the psalms the last couple of years for our Wednesday night prayer meeting. Last Wednesday night we started our prayer meeting with a devotional on Psalm 102 entitled, “Snow, the Super Bowl, and the Souper Bowl…” OK, the “Super Bowl” is past, that was fun (and the ending was pretty exciting!). And the “Souper Bowl of Sharing,” is over, our offerings and gifts going to the regional Food Pantry. That certainly reminds us that many people struggle to meet their needs day to day. The snow?  Well, enough said about that! But if you are in a warm home, safe from the elements, maybe you are counting your blessings today. There are many people facing challenges, persecutions, and life threatening situations in many parts of the world. Today weather may keep us from church, but we don't live in fear of ISIS soldiers breaking through our doors. In some areas of the world believers are putting their lives at risk by identifying themselves as Christ followers.  At some level the tribulation that comes with living in a fallen world touches us all at some point. There is hope in this psalm.

The Big Idea: The suffering of this age can be overwhelming if we lose sight of the promises of God. Keep looking up!

I. The suffering of this present age (1-11). Jesus said that we would have tribulation in the world (see also John 16:33).  God created a world that was good, but human rebellion brought the curse of God on creation. We live in a fallen world, disoriented by sin and the consequences of sin.

Psalm 102:1-11  A PRAYER OF ONE AFFLICTED, WHEN HE IS FAINT AND POURS OUT HIS COMPLAINT BEFORE THE LORD. Hear my prayer, O LORD; let my cry come to you!  2 Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress! Incline your ear to me; answer me speedily in the day when I call!  3 For my days pass away like smoke, and my bones burn like a furnace.  4 My heart is struck down like grass and has withered; I forget to eat my bread.  5 Because of my loud groaning my bones cling to my flesh.  6 I am like a desert owl of the wilderness, like an owl of the waste places;  7 I lie awake; I am like a lonely sparrow on the housetop.  8 All the day my enemies taunt me; those who deride me use my name for a curse.  9 For I eat ashes like bread and mingle tears with my drink,  10 because of your indignation and anger; for you have taken me up and thrown me down.  11 My days are like an evening shadow; I wither away like grass.
Read slowly through these verses one at a time and sense the desperation, even despair that seems to overwhelm the psalmist. Have there been points in your life when you felt some of this?  Was God there in the midst or you pain? How did you get through?


II. Kingdom living in a fallen world (12-22).  If this is where we are living, what hope is there? Because we know the King, what’s more, because we are HIS children, we can live victoriously in the midst of chaos.

Psalm 102:12-23  12 But you, O LORD, are enthroned forever; you are remembered throughout all generations.  13 You will arise and have pity on Zion; it is the time to favor her; the appointed time has come.  14 For your servants hold her stones dear and have pity on her dust.  15 Nations will fear the name of the LORD, and all the kings of the earth will fear your glory.  16 For the LORD builds up Zion; he appears in his glory;  17 he regards the prayer of the destitute and does not despise their prayer.  18 Let this be recorded for a generation to come, so that a people yet to be created may praise the LORD:  19 that he looked down from his holy height; from heaven the LORD looked at the earth,  20 to hear the groans of the prisoners, to set free those who were doomed to die,  21 that they may declare in Zion the name of the LORD, and in Jerusalem his praise,  22 when peoples gather together, and kingdoms, to worship the LORD.  23 He has broken my strength in midcourse; he has shortened my days.
Consider the stark contrast in v. 12, “But you O LORD…” What characteristics of God are emphasized in the following verses? What does it mean to us to consider that God is “enthroned”?  What actions, past, present, or future, give hope to the psalmist? Which of these verses speak “hope” most clearly to you today?


III. Hope for the Age to Come (23-28). There is no promise that all hardship goes away when we decide to follow Jesus. In fact, in some ways things might get worse! But as it is written in another psalm, “Weeping may last for a night, but joy comes in the morning” (Ps 30:5b).
Psalm 102:23-28   23 He has broken my strength in midcourse; he has shortened my days.  24 "O my God," I say, "take me not away in the midst of my days- you whose years endure throughout all generations!"  25 Of old you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.  26 They will perish, but you will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away,  27 but you are the same, and your years have no end.  28 The children of your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before you.
How do you feel about the idea that God is sovereign, even in the midst of our suffering? One writer said, “Nothing touches us that hasn’t first passed through the hands of our loving, heavenly Father. Nothing.” Do you believe that? Have there been hard times in your life that God used for your good, or for the good of others?

How does the psalmist bring together the plan of God in creation and the promise of His presence in these verses?  


To guide us into prayer: He is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. We trusted Him in the past, we can trust Him now, whatever the circumstances, and tomorrow, whatever may come.  Think about how so much of what we pray about relates to the struggles of living in a fallen world. Is that true of your prayer list? Does His presence in the darkness give you hope? Does the promise of Heaven make you stronger? Your insights and testimonies could encourage someone today, please post your thoughts!

11 comments:

  1. Everyone goes through trials and for me when I'm going through a hard time I definitely feel humbled. I know God has a plan and need to trust that even though I may not understand why it's happening. I put my trust and hope in Him, that he knows what's best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I just noticed I could reply to posts! Thanks for sharing Echo. You said it best that all we need to do is trust. Sometimes I need the help of others to trust and that's why the church is such a blessing. Have you ever benefited from the faith of someone else when your faith was challenged?

      Delete
    2. Definitely, after my accident last summer I was so surprised and touched that so many of the folks at church reached out to me and my family or brought us meals, sent me cards. That really helped, all the encouraging words.

      Delete
  2. That is a great perspective echo, and a biblical way of looking at our trials. God is so loving we can trust him implicitly, and he is so powerful he can take that hard things we pass through and use them for our good, and for His glory. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a contrast between verses 1-11 & 11-23! When in pain it's so easy to focus on it or the bad things that we go through. I know when I am in pain it can take a toll on my mental health and it can feel like a never ending dark pit. What i noticed in verses 1-11 is that the Psalmist is focused on "Me" and desperately needs to refocus on God...which thankfully he does in the latter verses where I noticed "You" (God) . We are in constant need of REFOCUS. When the days are hard I start to thank God for everything he has done and it is impossible to stay in that dark pit! My hope resrs in that Christ's power is made perfect in our weakness and he has all authority (enthroned) and is soveriegn over everything. This means he has the 1st say and last say! Not the DR. Not the lawyer or the person whispering in your ear! When everything looks bad we need to stand on his promises (Word) and remember his plans for us. ECHO you are right it is definitely humbling!!! The great thing about "Weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning" is that your morning can come at anytime....you don't have to wait for the sun to come up.....God can make our midnight shine like the noon day! Jesus is awesome! Thank you Pastor for teaching us!!! What do u think he meant in V. 23?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no stranger to this pain, Karen. Thanks for being so transparent and sharing these challenges with others. You have a testimony and no doubt, God has used it already! Love you sister. :)

      Delete
    2. I agree Karen that the contrast is striking and a great reminder that we need to get our eyes on Jesus--He is our help in our time of need (Ps 121). It is interesting how the psalmist is so honest with God in his pain, but then acknowledges him as the source of strength and victory. The end of the psalm then seems to look ahead, that is where we see hope and assurance that God is working out a plan in history, creation, and in our lives. Yes, we can trust Him, even when we don't understand. What comfort!

      Delete
    3. I agree Karen! At least for me, I have to keep reminding myself to keep my focus on Him.

      Delete
  4. That is great Echo! Thank you for sharing.

    I have often felt like trials prepare the way for God to work. Over the years, I have faced situations that were incredibly difficult. As I look back, I see God, His Word and His people at work to help me navigate through those situations. A couple years back I was faced with a terrible challenge. As I walked into church, Mary Ann immediately noticed and offered loving concern and prayers. In just two days, the situation was resolved. My life verse has been Exodus 14:14, "The Lord will fight for you, you need only be still." During the trial I can't see the future, but I can look back and see God's faithfulness. I don't have to fight, I don't have to take flight. Just trust. Winston Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going." In the same way, when trials come I can trust God and keep going, knowing that He is able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing that verse in Exodus. That is a good one to remember! I think it's so comforting to know that someone is praying for you or your situation rather than just hoping it will get better.

      Delete
  5. V.23 is a tough one for me, could it be that God is there in our suffering, using it to weaken us, exposing our need and driving us to Him for help? The second part is even more difficult, "He has shortened my days..." It made me think of the Olivet discourse (Mt 24, Mk 13) when Jesus said "except those days be shortened no one would be saved..." And also Paul's perspective that "the suffering of this present age [our life in this fallen world] is not worthy to be compared to the glory that shall be revealed in us." (Rom 8).

    ReplyDelete